Friday, November 12, 2010

Frontier Bound - Part One

I am back from Frontier Bound! I got home last night and am spending today unpacking, laundry (check!), uploaded pictures, and just catching up on things.

I had a really great time. The journey started on Monday the 8th. I arrived at the Lexington Blue Grass Airport before noon. As I was at the bottom of the escalator, I saw the table for Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing right away, along with Stephanie Boyd, who is the Director of Recruitment and Retention! As I introduced myself to her, she said that she recognized me from Facebook. :) :) She explained what would be happening before we headed to Hyden. Soon after, one of my other classmates arrived, and it turned out to be the person I was sitting next to on the plane!! Haha, and we didn't even know it!


So for the next couple of hours, I got something to eat from Quiznos, and a bunch of us found each other and sat around and talked. Around 2:00, we met up again with Stephanie, and she gave us an overview of the next few days. One thing she said when we all met up was, "This is the first day of the rest of your lives" - that got me all excited!

The bus ride was pretty uneventful. We stopped once halfway. When we arrived, we checked in, got our housing assignments, received our messenger bags (!), placed a pin on the map (see picture below), and got our name tags. The rest of the night was spent eating dinner and getting welcomed. :)


This is where all the CNEP (nurse-midwifery) students live in the US.



Day 2

If I were to go into everything we did over this past week, it might get very long and tedious. So I won't. :) I will say that our days at Frontier Bound were go, go, go (with breaks in between, of course). They kept us very busy, but it was all very informative and good.

On the evening of Day 2, we all got to take the bus to Wendover, which is where Mary Breckinridge's home is located. Mary Breckinridge is the founder of Frontier Nursing Service and our school. It was very, very neat to be there. We ate a wonderful dinner there, too.

Tune into Day 3 and beyond on my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment