Sunday, January 9, 2011

Here We Go

I start classes tomorrow. In case this is the first post you're reading from my blog (or need a reminder ;)), I will be starting classes for my Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) to become a nurse-midwife.

I have been wanting this for quite some time. The dream originated in 2004, but it was an off-and-on thing until about somewhere in 2009, perhaps? Sometime during nursing school, I had decided that I wanted to pursue my passion of becoming a nurse-midwife (as opposed to having it be just a thought in my head).

- I want to serve women who are of childbearing age and help them through their pregnancy and birth.

- I want to give gentle care to women. Short story, maybe TMI for some: Once when I was in nursing school, I had a well-woman visit at the student health center. I was so, so impressed with the physician assistant who did my visit. She was so gentle during the exam and had a great bedside manner. See, when I went to the ER in 2003, I had a pelvic exam done that was extremely painful. So I was afraid of having another pelvic exam or Pap smear. But the PA who saw me was so gentle, I was like, "That's it?" at the end. I decided that I myself would also give that same kind of care to women.

- As a nurse-midwife, I realize that I will also serve women who are my mother's age.

- I want to be a health care provider that they can trust.

- I want to show women that they have options in their pregnancy, labor, and birth. That they can question things and have informed choice.

- I want to encourage breastfeeding!

- I want more gentle births to occur and show women that they have can have a birth experience they want to remember. And even if things don't happen the way they want them to (which happens often in birth), that at least they had choices, were prepared, educated, and informed. And that their babies are safe and healthy, as well as the moms themselves.

- I especially want to help teenage girls - both pregnant and non-pregnant. I have had a longing to help pregnant teens/younger mothers since 2005 (I think - it was sometime in my college years I decided this). I don't know how, but I just...want to be involved, somehow. God has certainly given me a heart to serve them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to be excited! But to be honest, I am nervous, too. I hope that if I remember what I listed above, that will help me get through the program. Oh, and of course I can't forget the support of my classmates, faculty, friends, and family. And ultimately God Himself, who makes this all possible. :) I will pray hard - for perseverance, endurance, and discipline.
I'll do this, for all the women out there. We need more midwives - and good OBs, too!

2 comments:

  1. Iris, you and I should work together some day! Give me 10 years to get done with school, and then we need to meet up! :)

    Thanks for sharing your story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We so should! I am up for that!
    Thanks for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete