Friday, January 21, 2011

Practice

One of the graded assignments in my midwifery class is to give a presentation to a group of people on one of three topics: 1) the history of nurse-midwifery, 2) nurse-midwifery practice, or 3) nurse-midwifery education.

I am starting to work on the presentation now. This is really causing me anxiety. Not so much the public speaking part (I actually don't really mind that). First it was figuring out whom my audience was going to be. Once I had that figured out, I asked how long the presentation was to be. One of my instructors said most students present for about 20-30 minutes. When I read that, I'll have to admit, I had some more anxiety.

This morning I decided to just start talking out loud about what I already knew and time it (using my ever-so-useful iPod Touch). Well, I discovered that I can talk about this subject for 20 minutes straight (of course I looked at the timer every couple of minutes to see where I was and had some moments of "umms" and "uhhs," trying to figure out what to say next). And that is just from information already in my head. That makes me feel a little better.

Now I just need to do some additional research, and hopefully that will make my speech a bit longer, plus I'll try to make it a little interactive in the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. I spoke to my undergrad nursing class--and now, well, some of them are nurse midwives! Just a thought--or a mothers group in your community or church!

    Cathimommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cathimommy: That is so neat! Thank you for the terrific suggestion - it's interesting how you happened to comment on this post tonight - I will be speaking to a group of moms following a LLL meeting, AND....I'm presenting tomorrow! :) Thank you for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete